Sunday, December 12, 2010

Living with Passion



Are you tired of going through the motions but not really being fulfilled? Do you know there is a difference between existing and living, a difference between being stuck and finding soul satisfaction? I want to encourage you in this season of your life to not settle for anything less than a passionate, purposeful life. If you are not excited about your present and your future, it is time to change course. Life is a gift and if you are not embracing it, you are missing out unnecessarily. From a mental health perspective, there are a number of strategies you can use to revive the passion in your life.

1. Value your life. When you truly consider life as a gift instead of a series of set-backs, you will begin to live more fully. Just imagine how you would live differently if you really valued your life. How would your eating, rest, self-care, relationships, and job situation have to change if you valued your life? Once you get clarity on these things, start to align your actions with your values.

2. Move from dreaming to doing. To live with passion means that you move beyond the thought realm and go into action. There are those who spend a lifetime dreaming, wishing, praying, and waiting for change to come. You can bring significant change to your life now. It is within your reach. Future plans are good but it is important for you to activate your plan in the present. Take steps to build your life’s bridge from where you are now to where you would like to be.

3. Invest time in the things that bring passion to your life. Time management is crucial for living a passionate life. Without it, your time, energy, and resources will all go to doing things you think you need to do to pay bills that don’t seem to go away. Carve out time for the things that feed your spirit. Make time for the things that inspire your passion and ignite your fire. If you cannot do it full time you need to give it some time. Without that you will feel perpetually bitter, drained, and distracted. Bring your purpose and passion into focus instead of constantly making them an afterthought.

4. Develop relationships with passionate people. There are people who will try to put your fire out and then there are those who motivate you to shine even brighter. Being in the presence of passionate people, talking with them, sharing your heart, and hearing their heart speak, fuels your passion. Eliminate draining relationships and seek kindred spirits. Passionate people help you to re-connect with your imagination and possibility.

5. Choose faith over fear. Fear stifles our passion. It makes us focus on the “can’t” instead of the “can”. It focuses on the limitation instead of the possibility. Living with passion requires that you dive in and believe that you can swim and that you deserve to experience deeper waters. Aren’t you tired of hanging out on the shallow end of the pool? You were made for more. Pursue your bliss and don’t become the one person blocking you from a passionate life.

4 comments:

Rev. Bridget Trent said...

Dr. Thema,
Thank you for your diamonds of wisdom whose value is affordable to us all in understanding. You are a woman of knowledge and inspiration sharing your gift to the world. I love the simplicity of your outreach as you balance prosperity of heart and soul on earth connected with heaven. Continual blessings.
Rev. Bridget Trent

Miss Sara said...

I was there… I was merely existing rather than living. I had to learn to just DO IT AFRAID. Even though I was scared to move forward in the changes that were happening in my life, I kept my faith & proceeded & I feel as though I’m on the right track. Thank you for reiterating all of this for me !

Unknown said...

Dr. Thema,

I can't even begin to express how uplifted I feel after reading this post. You are so full of knowledge and I thank you for sharing it with the world. We can all learn something from you. I too am a person just existing and have yet to start living. I'm fully aware of my passion and what gives me such a high on life but I am letting fear and my past as well as the uncertainty of the future hold me back. Well it's time for a change. It's time for me to start living. Because of your words I am hoping that they will serve as the start of me changing my outlook on life and feeding my passionate hunger. Thank you.

M. A. Tohami said...

Passion is KING!

As you said, when we value our life, we will look for our passion. And when we find our passion, we will enliven our whole life.