Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Friends: No time for fake ones



One of the most important human needs is the connection found in positive relationships. We strive to be understood, respected, valued, appreciated, and loved. Many of us have friendships from the various stages of our lives: childhood, young adulthood, and beyond. Friendship is an important aspect of our lives. When it is healthy it is a source of inspiration, joy, support, and strength. Unfortunately, the wounds caused by insincere “friends” can also be the most hurtful. Most of us have had friendships that did not last and that resulted in some negative feelings. To help prevent some potential hurt, let us consider some warning signs that someone may not actually be a true friend.

1. One-sided. It is very important for friendship to be mutual. Both people need to have concern and respect for each other and both people need to desire contact and communication. If you have to initiate all of the conversations and times together, you should step back and think honestly about whether the other person truly wants the friendship.

2. Jealousy. A friend is happy for your successes. They want the best in life for you and are the main ones leading the parade to celebrate when things are going well in your life. If someone’s insecurity, envy, competitive spirit, makes it hard for them to enjoy your happiness, this is a major warning sign. If you have to start keeping your good news a secret for fear that they will get sad, angry, or distant, something is seriously wrong with the nature of the relationship.

3. Put downs disguised as jokes. The gift of friendship is that we can truly be honest with each other. If you really want feedback on something you said, something you wore, something you are thinking about doing, you can trust a real friend to tell you the truth. This is important but when things go too far and a person constantly puts you down there is a problem. Being in the presence of a friend makes you feel better about yourself not worse. A sense of humor is wonderful but someone who enjoys constantly making jokes at your expense is not really concerned for your feelings. Even if someone says, it is just their personality, remember we are all responsible for our words. Taking opportunities to cut someone down for entertainment is not an indicator of real friendship.

4. Watch your back. If you know someone is not trustworthy, you have to ask yourself why you continue to confide in them. If someone shares things you ask them not to share, if they talk about you to others, and if you cannot trust them in the presence of your romantic partner, this person is not your friend. A friend is someone who has your back not someone you have to fear will stab you in the back.

5. Wing clipper. Friends encourage you to grow, mature, thrive, and soar. They want you to live a happy and healthy life. If someone discourages you from doing positive things and encourages you to engage in negative behaviors, this is not a positive friendship. A friend honors the changes you try to make to live a better life instead of dragging you back to the bad habits of the past.

All of these warning signs represent both things we should avoid in others and in ourselves. To attract good friends we have to also strive to be a good friend. If someone is not being a good friend to you, you may want to first have an honest conversation with them to see if things can get better. If there is no improvement, it may be time to create some space and time in your life for more healthy friendships to develop. Most importantly, don’t let unhealthy friendships of the past cause you to cut off your willingness to trust someone new in the future. Isolation is not the answer. We just have to move forward with wisdom knowing that there are other people out there who value good friends.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This was great information and I took every word as advice...you know when it's time to tune in and make changes thanks for your written words of advice good for the soul!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. Thema, I thank God for allowing me to watch your sermon on you tube. I had just made a decisiom lying in my bed to cut back on all the religious voices I was listening too. I came upstairs to start doing my online LSAT course when I was moved to listen to you. God is something else. He knows that the state I am in needed to hear some objectivity and subjectivity. I am aware (thank God) that my projected hinderances come from family and adversaries using my childhood to covertly exploit my family and derail my future in ministry. Many have had a field day with the root of our reality the cause and effects of my childhood sexual abuse. I was blessed to use these childhood instances in my working with adolescents and adults. I myself understand the dysfunction and had many years of counseling. I agree we need to know why we do or did what we did. One learns when seeking answers from professionals that an unhealthy people and environments breeds dysfunction simply. The dynamics and its effects of the dysfunction is long lasting and debilitating for those who do not seek help as to why and how to recover. I believe I was chosen to be ashamed and dismantle but I am thankful I was able to understand why my caregivers behaved the way they did and why I acted out as a child from the various environments I lived in as a child. I see the tragic part of realizing where we come from is not what or who we are but the harm is being retraumatized by the society and the healthy people that function as the stable professionals or leaders. We live in a time where sex sells it use to be in the closet but now we sell anyone or thing. So I pray that I have an opportunity to speak up for adults who experienced such family dysfunctions as children I want to start a petition for legislation for human beings not to be retraumatized again, I hope you will help me Dr. Thema. I am a believer, and I believe we are destroyed for lack of knowledge, and I am blessed to have nurtured my children, family members and children from this neighborhood too who are my EVIDENCE that I am not a product of my environment. Please help me to help people become whole again. Diane

Diane Arrington said...

I am the previous commentor my email is alltruth44@yahoo.com
I am very serious about starting this petition for adults who experience sexual abuse as a child being retraumatized as adults. Dr. Them thank you again. I know we can start the petition right here in my community. We care.

Anonymous said...

MS. BEV: THANKS FOR THE CONFIRMATION OF MY EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCES ON RELATIONSHIPS, AND THE VALUES, MORALS AND PRINCIPLES THAT BECAME DEEPLY EMBEDED IN ME A RESULT. I CAME TO YOUR SITE DUE TO ONE OF MY FB FRIEND'S COMMENT ABOUT YOUR POST AND I'M GLAD I DID. I WILL RETURN! MUCH LOVE

Peter Scofield said...

If you need the service of a reliable hacker to hack your partner's cell phone or system database, clear criminal records, or restore your stolen Bitcoin, contact easybinarysolutions@gmail.com or whatsapp: +1 3478577580 they're highly reliable and confidential.